OSWEGO — Oswego County will partner with the American Red Cross to host a community blood drive in honor of former Legislator Douglas Malone. The event will run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Nov. 7 at the Oswego County Legislature Office Building, fourth floor, 46 E. Bridge St., Oswego.
“This is a great opportunity for us all to come together and show support for one of our community leaders,” said county Legislator Marie C. Schadt, District 19. “We’re working with the American Red Cross to host this blood drive which offers people a chance to participate in something that makes such a tremendous impact on people’s lives and benefits the community as a whole. Donating just one pint of blood can help save as many as three lives, but it touches many, many more.”
Malone, who is currently battling lung cancer, said it is important to keep supplies fully stocked so that patients can get what they need. He noted that on a recent hospital visit, the facility didn’t have platelets on site and he had to wait 11 hours for a supply to be flown in before he could receive treatment.
The American Red Cross offers these tips for people before they donate:
• Hydrate: Be sure to drink plenty of fluids before and after your donation.
• Dress: Wear something comfortable with sleeves that can easily be rolled up above the elbow.
• ID: Take either a donor card, driver’s license, or two other forms of identification to check in.
• Medications: Bring a list of medications that you are taking, including both prescription and over-the-counter medicines.
• Iron Levels: Maintain healthy iron levels before donating. If possible, include iron-rich foods such as meat, fish and poultry in your diet, especially in the weeks before your donation.
All presenting donors at this event will be entered to win a $50 Visa gift card. Daily winners will be announced throughout the month.
To make an appointment, call 349-8247. For more information about the American Red Cross, call 1-800-733-2767 or visit www.redcross.org.